remote file extraction

Tom Karzes tom.karzes at magnumsemi.com
Tue Jul 1 20:34:28 CDT 2008

I want to extract the contents of a single file from a remote repository.
For a local repository, I can use "hg cat" to achieve the desired result.
But for a remote repository (e.g., ssh://me@host//repo), this command can't
be used.  Instead, I would need to do something like:

hg clone --noupdate ssh://me@host//repo tmprepo
hg cat tmprepo/file
rm -rf tmprepo

Is there a simpler way to do this, without the need to create a temporary
local repository?  This seems like it would be a fairly common thing to want
to do, and if the file is small but the repo is large, having a more direct
way would also save a lot of bandwidth.  (I'd also prefer a command-line
solution rather than a web-based solution.)