About an IRC discussion on using pull requests for hg development

Matt Mackall mpm at selenic.com
Mon May 7 15:51:56 CDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 18:33 +0200, Patrick Mézard wrote:
> TL;DR:
> - Make history editing easier and safer (include histedit?)
> - Vague thoughts about supporting bitbucket-like pull requests while preserving an email-based review workflow.

Every time this comes up, I say "but I do accept pull requests!"

But I only want pull requests from people who have a track record of
getting a submission right the first time and have internalized
important rules like "don't mix unrelated changes". Otherwise I'll start
reading your incoming csets, discover problems, then ask you to resend
so I can comment on the problems. Which means my aborted first pass was
wasted effort.

I also regularly pull from the crew and i18n trees. The former is full
of trusted committers, the latter is effectively unreviewable.

And as it happens, most of the people I'd accept a pull request from
either have crew access or are content to patchbomb (or both!).