[ANN] cedit configuration editor extension

Paul Lambert pauldevmailing at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 14:28:25 CST 2010

Hello,

I am working on cedit, an extension to manage Mercurial configuration files via the command line.

You can get the latest version here: http://bitbucket.org/paulitex/cedit/

I am aware of two previous editor extensions, http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/ConfigExtensionCommandLine and http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/ConfigExtension.

Cedit improves on the first in a number of ways, including both command-line parsing and an interactive editor, by using iniparse to better preserve the structure of manual edits, and by including a bootstrapping script to install itself as an extension (thereby closing the loop of having to manually edit the config files, even once). The second has been declared defunct by its author and hasn't been updated in 2 years.

While power users are probably quite comfortable manually editing their hgrc, this is still a hurdle for newcomers (and others have complained... http://stevelosh.com/blog/2009/05/what-i-hate-about-mercurial/). To really help out the new guys, I've also include a 'hg setuser' command to quickly set their username so they can get started and push to most public repos. Moreover, I've found that writing 'hg cedit -d "foo.bar"' is still notably quicker than using my text editor to do the same.

This is my first contribution to Mercurial and I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Paul Lambert

Cedit is being developed as part of an Undergraduate Capstone Open-source Project (UCOSP).
You can learn more about UCOSP at http://ucosp.wordpress.com/about/
For Mercurial-specific information see
https://ucosp.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W1