Tagging at non-head [was Re: Bookmarks in core?]

Kevin Bullock kbullock+mercurial at ringworld.org
Mon Dec 6 11:51:08 CST 2010

On Dec 6, 2010, at 11:26 AM, Matt Mackall wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 11:20 -0600, Kevin Bullock wrote:
>>> Tagging on anything else than the tip of the branch you want to tag
>>> would by silly indeed in almost all cases. You might blame mercurial for
>>> failing to protect you from every silly user action, but users who
>>> understand how mercurial records history also understand how diverging
>>> lines of history happen. And when forking history is probably a bad idea.
>>
>> Would it be worthwhile to issue a warning when tagging at a non-head
>> revision?
>
> This already happens?

As it turns out (on 1.7.2), no (as noted on IRC). I added a quick test case to test-tag.t and found out that when a tag creates a new head, it doesn't even issue the standard 'created new head' message.

Patch against default in progress.

pacem in terris / mir / shanti / salaam / heiwa
Kevin R. Bullock